Aphasia Hope Foundation » Forums » Aphasia, Professionals
Ex Husband had stroke
You are not logged in.
Posting in this forum require registration.
2034 Registered users.
Moderators: admin
No new posts.
New posts since last visit.
Replies: 2 - Pages: [1] - Last reply: 2021-04-08 09:44:23 - By: Nan Musson
Author Message

Sandy Caudell

Posts: 13
2021-04-26 00:03:56

My ex husband Mike lives in a nursing home he is eight months out from his second stroke. I believe he wants to talk and has made sounds with me and tries . His facility has not been providing any speech therapy of substance . I terminated the speech therapist yesterday at a care plan meeting because she could not even tell me when she saw him last or tired to help him also at this care plan meeting she refused to discuss her reasons, she was very disappointing in general and was possibly terminated from the Hospital for poor communication skills herself. As I evaluated her demeanor and Mike together, He did not want her to help him any longer by the way he looked at her and me letting me know she has not been truthful in helping him, her repore was harsh for him and myself , she was curt and annoyed to even be ask a general question.I want him to have therapy that is going to benefit him to regain speech. He is on medicare/state medi medi I think, and under the care of the state. He has no speech therapy and has not had any of any significant form in my opinion, I find this difficult for him on top of the courage it takes for him to preserver , which he has taken great strides with his mobility, movement, etc. Now the current facility, Fountain Care on LeVeta Street in Orange Ca, has suggested I bring in private help. I an not in a position to do that financially I am a chronic cancer survivor myself on disability. My question is what are his options now. Who can help and he is just becoming Mobil but its difficult to get him out of the facility for small outings in general. WE want a good speech therapist to be recommended and supplied , he is going for a swallowing test and I was told this would help determine where he was in speech regain from the test, is this true? I am thanking you for you time and attention to this mans ability to talk again.
I am privileged to oversee his care out of genuine concern.
Thank You

Back to top

Nan Musson

Posts: 1
2021-04-26 00:03:56

First let me say that I am very sorry to hear of the poor services your ex-husband received. I have listed some organizations to help search for a professional in your area and I would suggest that your ex-husband and his representative(s) meet and interview the clinician(s) before starting the rehabilitation.
Ask questions regarding years of experience, type of population they have worked with (adult or pediatric), and inquire about any special certification, board certification or licensure to reflect advanced knowledge in working with stroke/brain damage and associated communication problems.

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA.org)
This is the professional organization that certifies speech-language pathologists.

Academy of Neurologic Communication Disorders and Sciences (ANCDS.org)
This is a professional organization of speech-language pathologists that specialize in neurological disorders such as aphasia. Many of these professionals also hold board certification.

National Aphasia Association (NAA) (aphasia.org) This group has a network of state representatives that can advise about resources in your area.

Nan Musson

Back to top