Aphasia Hope Foundation » Forums » Aphasia, Professionals
I need advice
You are not logged in.
Posting in this forum require registration.
2031 Registered users.
Moderators: admin
No new posts.
New posts since last visit.
Replies: 2 - Pages: [1] - Last reply: 2022-02-20 19:05:43 - By: Kristine Lundgren
Author Message

Ty Tatum

Posts: 1
2021-04-26 00:03:56

I’m a 40 y/o woman who in Nov. 04 came down with a severe case of Salmonella Poison that in turn produced a stroke that has been diagnosed at one point Apraxia/Aphasia to Expressive Aphasia to Dysarthia, to possibly having a paralyzed vocal cord. Since 05 I’ve participated in various forms of Speech Therapy and while some progress has been made I’ve been left with a very noticeable speech delay to the point many people mistakenly think I’m retarded which I’m far from. My language skills are limited and extremely choppy. My question is where can I go in Kentucky to possibly find out if there is a form of surgery I can have to repair the damage to my vocal cords? If someone can direct me in this I’d be very grateful [email protected]

Thank you

Back to top

Kristine Lundgren

Posts: 11
2021-04-26 00:03:56

I certainly understand your desire keep improving in any way that you can. If you have not done so already, I would suggest that you start by speak to your primary care physician or neurologist and see if she/he may refer you to the most appropriate medical professional in your area. You may also benefit from seeing a speech pathologist in your area with expertise and experience in adult neurological communication disorders for a follow up. If you are having difficulty finding a speech language pathologist in your area, there a few organizations that can assist you with your search. These organizations are as follows:

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA.org)

Academy of Neurologic Communication Disorders and Sciences (ANCDS.org)

National Aphasia Association (NAA) (aphasia.org)

Let us know how you are progressing.

Back to top