Aphasia Hope Foundation » Forums » Aphasia, Professionals
could there be an underlying problem
You are not logged in.
Posting in this forum require registration.
2034 Registered users.
Moderators: admin
No new posts.
New posts since last visit.
Replies: 2 - Pages: [1] - Last reply: 2021-07-07 09:25:47 - By: Anne L. Ver Hoef
Author Message

Deirdre Van-Lane

Posts: 1
2021-04-26 23:55:27

I have noticed recently that my husband has episodes of frequently substituting incorrect words while speaking, this will seem to occur frequently for a few days and then not occur for several days and reoccur again. As an example we were talking about an issue with his parents for over 10 minutes and at one point in the conversation he substituted “your parents” for my parents. As another example, he was talking to a friend about a family celebration, he was describing an event and was saying that we had been in the town of Rosemount and that a rental car had been provided that had Rosewood on the dashboard. Later in the conversation he talked about the doors of the car having areas of Rosemount. (he meant Rosewood) He does not seem to notice these errors although he is a person who prides himself on his vocabulary, speaking correctly, taking care to impart the correct meaning and the use of correct grammar and such. he also frequently uses incorrect names of people when speaking. There is no history of stroke or even any mild head injury. I would say this is happening more frequently.

Back to top

Anne L. Ver Hoef

Posts: 50
2021-04-26 00:03:56

Hmmmm…..there could be a problem but it could also be a normal fluctuation of life. Are there other things that may be going on for your husband such as changes at work or in other aspects of his life? Sometimes people make more speaking mistakes when they are slightly distracted, often by their own thoughts.

If you truly see a progression or worsening of speech and language problems, I suggest you talk with your husband about your observations and see what he thinks. You might consider then consulting with a neurologist. You would want to explore the medical-physiological causes for these changes. Good luck. Anne

Back to top